MARCH 2ND EVERYONE!!! WHOO HOOO!!
March 2 Day to Defend Public Education
For the past weeks we have seen students, workers, faith and community come together and prevent attacks to the public sector across the country. These attacks are threatening the basic structures of our society, including the right to an education and the right to full and fair employment. It is time to take action and demand a stop to the cuts!
Tomorrow, students across the country will stand in solidarity in the Day to Defend Public Education and Workers! In state houses nationwide, politicians have tried balancing budgets on the backs of working students and families… and we’re fighting back!
Are you involved in a local action? Click here to let us know! Check out ourMarch 2 map to see how many grassroots, student actions are taking place all over the country and be sure to let us know if you don’t see yours!
But our fight doesn’t end at state houses. The federal government needs to do more to invest in higher education, not make draconian cuts to programs like the Pell Grant and TRIO. So tomorrow, let your Senators know that we need a government that prioritizes students!
- – Call (202) 224-3121 for the Senate switchboard operator and ask for one of your Senators.
- – Tell her or his office that you are a student constituent and urge their support for a federal budget that invests in higher education! See a sample call-in script below:
“Hello, my name is _____ and I am a student at _____ (campus) and with the United States Student Association. I am a Pell Grant/ TRIO/ SEOG recipient and constituent concerned about the cuts in HR 1 to student aid.
Pell/ TRIO/ SEOG is a vital component to my student aid. I’m among the tens of thousands of students who may not be able to complete college if these cuts are made (optional: tell them why Pell/ TRIO/ SEOG is important to you).
Please do not cut student aid. Thank you for your time.”
- Click here to download a more detailed call-in script
- Click here to download a printable half-sheet of the call-in script
Also, be sure to help spread the word about March 2 by:
- – Setting your facebook status to “Stand up for public education and workers by taking action TODAY! Visithttp://tinyurl.com/4gub4mt for more info!“
- – Be sure to re-tweet @USStudents!
- – Change your facebook profile picture to USSA and SLAP’s March 2nd Day of Action image
don’t miss the incredible opportunity to join your fellow students in standing up for public education and workers!
Other students from across the country are also taking action on March 2nd as part of the National Day to Defend Education
Whatever you do, let USSA help promote and strengthen your organizing by uplifting your campus’ or community’s actions through new media. Together, we can create an urgent national message that moves policy makers and the public to promote public need, public workers, and our public higher education system.