DREAM ACT CALLS!!!!! SPREAD THE WORD!
Call Center (Dream Act Grassroots Phone Banking) Tool Kit
DREAM Team Los Angeles
Why is it important to phone bank?
We believe that the DREAM Act is a legitimate piece of legislation that would make this country better. We know that, but our representatives don’t know that we know that. Representatives’ offices keep a tally of the calls that are done on a specific issue. This is one of the ways that they see if the public supports a specific issue or not.
By us calling the representatives’ office, we remind them that they work for us, and that we have a voice and they should listen to it.
DREAM Act vs. FAIR
FAIR is the Federation for American Immigration Reform. FAIR is a strong anti-immigrant national group that often comes attacking immigrants and labeling them as “criminals”. In previous years when DREAM Act and CIR have attempted to come up for a vote, FAIR has activated its anti-immigrant base and made thousands of calls. In 2007, anti-immigrant calls surpassed pro-CIR calls 10 to 1. At the same time, anti-immigrant calls surpassed pro-DREAM Act calls 4 to 1 in 2007.
In September 2010, mass mobilization behind the DREAM Act took place. Initiated by the undocumented students and allies, phone banking centers and parties spread out throughout the country; all volunteered based. September’s vote on the DREAM Act proved the momentum and support that exists for the DREAM. This was the first time that more calls were made for DREAM Act than against the bill. In less than a week, undocumented Dreamactivists and allies generated more than 350,000 calls for DREAM Act. That is the power of calls. That is the power of phone banking.
List of Needs:
1. Location with Phone lines (as many you can get)
2. 1 or 2 Call Center Coordinators: these individuals will take care of logistics, supplies and implementation. This role could be done by shifts, they would run the Call Center
3. Volunteers: these individuals will make phone calls to Senators but also make calls to their contacts to get them to also call our target Senators.
4. Copies of Sing In Sheet (included in this tool kit)
5. Copies of Phone Banking Tool Kit for volunteer and Pens
* Try to get food donated for volunteers
VOLUNTEER’S SIGN IN SHEET
|NAME||PHONE NUMBER||TIME IN||TIME OUT|
What to keep in mind while you phone bank?
- Be brief and polite.
- Be assertive when speaking.
- Be confident on your words. You believe on the DREAM Act? Show it to the Representative’s assistant.
- Know your message and zip code well.
- If asked for an address because “they want to send you a letter”. You don’t need to provide one. Answer politely “I rather not give my address, but my zip code is…”
- If the assistant tells you “Senator McCain (or other) does not support this bill…..” answer “well, I am aware that the Senator does not support it now, but I am calling for him to reconsider his position and vote YES this time around”.
You can choose your own version on how to convey the message….
Or, choose from the following:
“Hello, my name is ____________, and I am calling to ask (Senator/Congressman) __________ to vote YES on DREAM Act. Thank you”
“Hello, my name is ____________, and I want to leave a message to (Senator/Congressman) ________ to vote YES on the DREAM Act…. I know that many of these hard-working Americans want to serve their country in their communities or the armed forces. I believe that we should give them the opportunity to serve their country! Thank you”
Hello, my name is _____________, and I would like to tell (Senator/Congressman) __________ to vote yes on DREAM Act when it comes to a vote. These students are an economic asset to my country. I want my tax-payer dollars that have been invested on these students to not go to waste. Tell him/her to vote YES on DREAM Act!”
DREAM Act Targets:
Numbers: 1866-587-6101 or 202-224-3121
NAME STATE City and Zip Code
|Senator Bob Bennett (R)||Utah||Salt Lake City, 84138
Cedar City, 84720
|Senator Lisa Murkowski (R)||Alaska||Wasilla, 99654
|Senator Olympia Snowe (R)||Maine||Auburn, 04210
|Senator Susan Collins (R)||Maine||Auburn, 04210
|Senator Kent Conrad (D)||North Dakota||Minot, 58701|
|Senator Byron Dorgan (D)||North Dakota||Minot, 58701|
|Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson (R)||Texas||San Antonio, 78226|
|Senator Claire McCaskill (D)||Missouri||Kansas City, 64111|
|Senator Sam Brownback (R)||Kansas||Topeka, 66603|
|Senator Jim Webb (D)||Virginia||Richmond, VA 23219|
|Senator Mark Warner (D)||Virginia||Richmond, VA 23219|
|Senator Mary Landrieu (D)||Louisiana||New Orleans, 70130|
|Senator Mark Pryor (D)||Arkansas||Little Rock, AR 72201|
|Senator George Voinovich (R)||Ohio||Cleveland, OH 44199|
|Senator Kay Hagan||North Carolina||Charlotte, NC 28202|
|Senator George Lemieux (R)||Florida||Orlando, FL 32801|
Call and give a Special Thanks to Senator Richard Lugar from Indiana!!
Numbers: 1866-587-6101 or 202-224-3121
Name State City and Zip Code
|Dennis Cardoza (D)||California||Merced, 95340|
|Jim Costa (D)||California||Bakersfield, 93301|
|David Dreier (R)||California||Claremont, 91711|
|Devin Nunez (R)||California||Fresno, 93727|