DREAM NOW!! TOMORROW MAKES HISTORY!!!
In the past week we’ve made over 34,000 phone calls from all over the nation in support of the DREAM Act. We want to thank you all for mobilizing during this very critical time. Last week showed what we could do in a moments notice, and this upcoming week, as the fate of DREAM is to be decided, our efforts couldn’t be more needed.
On Tuesday at 2:15pm EST, the Senate is scheduled to vote on cloture. Cloture is a parliamentary procedure aimed to quickly end debate. Tuesday will undoubtedly set the tone for the coming week. Senators who have long supported the bill, like Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA), have not been as vocal as needed highlighting the importance and need for grassroots efforts to push Senators to vote their conscious, even if it means crossing the party lines. We must firm up the support of DREAM allies in the Senate, and move our target Senators to vote yes. If the cloture vote passes, the DREAM Act amendment itself will be voted on late this week, most likely on Thursday.
This is what the DREAM Act needs from you this week:
1. Call your Senators at 1-888-254-5087, and request a ‘yes’vote on the cloture motion on Tuesday, a ‘yes’ vote on the DREAM Act amendment, and a speech on the senate floor in support of DREAM.
2. Have your organization (whether it’s an SSA, a Government, or another student organization) put out a statement in support of the DREAM Act this Tuesday (see attached sample). Send a copy of this statement to USSA, use it to gain local press for the DREAM Act, and be sure to send it to your Senators!
3. Get your college/University Presidents to send out a statement in support of DREAM as well (see attached sample statement).
4. Draft a Letter to the Editor/Opinion Editorial to your local papers urging the passage of DREAM. http://www.usstudents.org/get-involved/take-action-on-the-dream-act
5. Stay connected and engaged to the DREAM actions taking place all over the country. Text DREAM or SUENO to 69866 to get updates about the DREAM Act this week and find out what is happening in your area–a list of actions can also be found in the following link:http://www.dreamactivist.org/
Below you’ll find a list of priority targets. If your state isn’t listed as a priority, that does not mean that you shouldn’t make sure that your Senators will show up & vote yes and be more vocal in their support for the DREAM Act. If you are willing, another call to a priority target is also helpful.
Sen. Hatch of Utah
Sen. Bennet of Utah
Sen. Gregg of New Hampshire
Sen. McCain of Arizona
Sen. Voinovich of Ohio
Sen. Snowe of Maine
Sen. Collins of Maine
Sen. LeMeiux of Florida
Sen. Brown of Massachusetts
Sen. Brownback of Kansas
Sen. Hagan of North Carolina
Sen. Pryor of Arkansas
Sen. Landrieu of Louisiana
Sen. Conrad of North Dakota
Sen. Dorgan of North Dakota
Sen. Goodwin of West Virginia
And finally, yesterday evening the Associated Students of Colorado passed a resolution in support of the DREAM Act. It’s important to remember that every action taken is a step forward in making this DREAM a reality. For almost a decade we have struggled to ensure education is a right for all students regardless of citizenship status. The fate of this historic piece of legislation, and with it, the hopes and dreams of many, lays in the actions we take this next week. Let us move forward working together.